Subject: Serial ports not responding on a Tadpole
To: None <>
From: Dennis Taylor <>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/08/1999 22:35:14
	Well, I'm out of ideas, so I figured this would be the most
sensible place to ask for advice. I'm running NetBSD 1.4 on a
SPARCbook 3GX, and the serial ports in the back aren't working. Any
writes to /dev/tty[ab] will block forever until you control-C it,
which gives you an "Interrupted system call" error. The modem on the
other end receives nothing. stty gives normal-looking terminal
settings, and dmesg reports the serial ports in the right place:

zs0 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x100000 level 12 softpri 6
zstty0 at zs0 channel 0
zstty1 at zs0 channel 1

	...but nothing can talk through them. The problem's not the
serial hardware... I've tried two different sets of otherwise
functional modems and cables. It's not the kernel... I sucked down the
1.4.1 source and built a custom kernel, and nothing changed. I know
that other people have gotten the serial ports working under NetBSD
already, which makes me rather concerned. Should I assume it's a
hardware problem (and if so, can it be fixed?), or is there something
else left to try first?

Dennis Taylor           "Anyone whose days are all the same and free from    want inhabits eternity of a sort."  - Peter Hoeg
   PGP Fingerprint: E8D6 9670 4FBD EEC3 6C6B  810B 2B30 E529 51BD 7B90