Subject: Re: Network Interface
To: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/25/1999 11:28:26
On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 11:24:51PM -0700, Gandhi woulda smacked you wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Craig Beasland wrote:
>
> # Matthew,
> #
> # I get le0 detected hen the kernel boots,
> #
> # > le0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0xc00000 level 5: address 08:00:20:0f:5e:de
> # > le0: 8 receive buffers, 2 transmit buffers
> #
> # except mine says address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>
> Congratulations.  You have an EEPROM with a dead battery which you
> will need to replace eventually, otherwise you're going to have to
> manually enter your ether addr and hostid from the forth monitor.
>
> If you don't already know, that ether addr is the universal broadcast
> ether addr, so every host on the net will respond to you.
>
> Good luck.  There's a FAQ somewhere on replacing the battery in the
> EEPROM/NVRAM, or you can get a replacement chip for about $10 (or
> was it $20?).

I've also seen ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff when the I/O address was correct,
but the IRQ was wrong. The card was detected, but not all communications
was operational. There were other console messages associated with this
too. I believe this was on an ne2000 card though, not an 'le'.

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods