Subject: Re: sun4/110: kernel panic during netboot
To: None <eclipse@sirio.iet.unipi.it>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/20/1999 15:35:11
   >         Could either of you open a PR on this?
   ... sorry, just for today... i'm leaving (back on holydays :-) this evening...

   >         If youo have a chance you might want to try netbooting a kernel
   > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/snapshot/19990810/binary/kernel/
   >         to see if the problem is still present...
   As far as i can see, it seems (ALMOST) working. No more kernel panic... I
   succeeded (after eliminating  .profile that apparently hung the system) in
   netbooting netbsd -s. The bootphase (transferring and uncompressing,
   i guess) is *much* slower than 1.4, and the running kernel (seems very slow)
   produces a great amount of

   ie0: i82586_intr: (almost_a_thousend) spurious interrupts...

Ya, noticed the above as well on my 4/110.  It seems to be related to
using the console via a serial port and doing ethernet stuff at the same
time.  If I telnet into the machine and do what I would have done on the
console, then the above does not happen for me [or didn't in the 1.4C time
frame].

   I have just the 1.4 tree (old a.out executable format)...  Is this the reason
   why executing many commands causes coredump?

   Orazio Sottile

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]