Subject: A major number for com (16x50) devices?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/29/1999 20:44:23
I have the built-in modem on the Tadpole 3GX probing successfully.

com0 at obio0 slot 0 offset 0x3a0000 level 13: ns16550a, working fifo

However, sys/arch/sparc/sparc/conf.c doesn't have an entry for COM
devices.  Is there some method for picking new major numbers?
Currently, I arbitrarily picked 36.

Note that other devices on the Tadpole will require other
major numbers.  One for the misc devices (like power control),
one for the p9100 display, one for the isdn device (thought that
might want to be the same as what Solaris uses).

Also, is there anything special about attaching interrupts on
sbus/obio devices?
Sunnyvale, CA             Disclaimer: I avow all knowledge of this message