Subject: Re: sucessful build of a new SLC kernel, but no mouse in X ? +docs
To: Reinoud Zandijk <zandijk@cs.utwente.nl>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/20/1999 18:38:10
On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last night I tried to build a kernel for my `new' SLC. Well, it all worked
> OK. My new kernel is significantly smaller, and is now about 1.6 Mb
> unzipped, unstriped. It was build on the 990704 NetBSD-release. I just
> commented everything that was special to other sun4's and commented the
> same stuff as in the `BILL-THE-CAT' config. At the end of this mail, I've
> included the config file as I noticed a question about a hack for Sun4c
> kernels I didn't have to make.

	What was the question? :)

> Well, as the subjectline already told, my mouse doesn't work, absolutely
> no reponse in X. Have I uncommented my mouse-driver ?? :-/, the old
> NetBSD-1.4_BETA I got from Greg Oster had the same problem.  The LED is ON
> in the mouse, so I guess the mouse is OK.

	It should Just Work. Do you have any other sun machine on which
	you could test the mouse? I notice the kernel config has ms0
	enabled so it should be OK. Do you see ms0 in the bootup messages?

> Also the intallation notes for X mention a document to be found in
> `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/', but this directory is non-existent in the
> sparc-distribution, but does exist in the arm32-distribution. The only
> thing I found was `README.netbsd' and `README.mouse', but no comment on it
> in `README.mouse'. Should I reconfigure the `XF86Config' file? And what to
> change? I can't reach my SLC now, it's down.

	You shouldn't need to change anything for a sparc (the glory of
	fixed frequency monitors and a standard set of framebuffers :)

> BTW: How harmfull is it to a SLC to have it switched on all day? I've got
> the screenblanker deamon on, but I'm not fully reasured yet... And why is
> the screenblanker an inet service ??? :-)

	It should be fine - I ran an ELC as a server for the longest time
	way back :)

		David/absolute

	  -=-  Maybe your misinterpretation of my actions is
	      in conflict with your misconception of who I am  -=-