Subject: Re: Cheap Sparc Notebooks
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@link.link-systems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/18/1999 18:06:00
When I saw this deal mentioned on the nearby Orlando BUGO site a few weeks
back,  I ordered a GS. I've seen postings here indicated "it just works"
when newbie GX/GS owners asked.  But until I took the external drive I
built my ss20/elf -current on (July 4th) and booted it on the GS last
night, I didn't know how correct "just works" was. I presumed I'd need
a serial console, but no, it "just works!"  Sure, no X with the Weitek
P9100, but the LCD worked fine as an ASCII console.  I initially tried
booting an old 1.3I floppy I'd made long ago but couldn't figure out the
exact way of referencing the SCSI floppy drive, so I punted to the external
SCSI HD I had handy instead.

Cheers,

-- Ken