Subject: Re: Looking for info before I buy
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/14/1999 00:26:04
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Dave McGuire wrote:

> ...weird SCA SCSI vs. standard SCSI2 in the 10...

Actually, I'm preferring the SCA SCSI in the 5s and 20s these days,
since there seem to be a lot of cheap, fast SCA drives out there.
(I paid US$135 for a Fujitsu 4GB 7200 RPM SCA drive a few months
ago.)

My current Sparc is an SS20 with a pair of 75 MHz CPUs, 192 MB of
RAM and the above drive, and it's working quite well for me. (Of
course, the second CPU doesn't get a lot of use at the moment, but
I'm looking forward to seeing that fixed.) NetBSD is quite happy
in a 512 MB machine so long as you fix the buffer cache allocation
so the kernel doesn't crash on boot; you can actually allocate
nearly 200 MB of buffer cache if you don't mind bringing the maximum
buffer size down to 8K. I'll bump my machine back up to 512 MB
after the merged buffer cache stuff comes in so we can make sure
that all that works ok.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.