Subject: Re: This problems weird.
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/30/1999 10:53:51
satherrl@gryphon.itssa.curtin.edu.au (Richard Sather) writes:
> 	When I access the page using netscape, NetBSD logs me out. It does so
> neatly, no core dumps etc etc. I'v had the same problem on other 'busy' pages
> (lots of small images) and typically moving the scroll bar at the window border
> triggers the problem.

I just had navigator-4.6/bsdi do this on a netbsd-current/386 machine.
What is happening is that Netscape is managing to kill the X server
and you are being nuked back to the xdm prompt (or whatever your
baseline is.)

Turning off all the trojan-delivery engines in netscape (such as
java/javascript) seemed to do the trick for me.

I guess this demonstrates a bug in the X server, where one ill-behaved
program can crash it.  (I noted this on the netbsd-current version of
the Xfree SVGA server.)

> I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.8 on the nat router, FreeBSD 3.2/Apache 1.3.6
> on the outside. The same problems crops up when I use a sparc xterm
> (it's running NetBSD aswell via a FreeBSD nfs box) so I figure its
> not hardware.

Freebsd breaks hardware. ;-)

-wolfgang
--