Subject: Re: SENSE KEY: Illegal Request ??
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/30/1999 00:04:37
> I just got a new scanner (SCSI) [...].  Now I see during boot:

> scsibus0 at esp0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
> ss0 at scsibus0 targ 2 lun 0: <UMAX, Astra 1220S, V1.3> SCSI2 6/scanner
> fixedprobe(esp0:2:1):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x12 20 00 00 2c 00
>     SENSE KEY:  Illegal Request
>      ASC/ASCQ:  Logical Unit Not Supported

To me, this says that the scanner doesn't do LUNs right (note the error
is for target 2 lun 1, after target 2 lun 0 was successfully hooked up
as ss0), and not only does it not do LUNs right, it does them wrong
enough to make the SCSI probe code bitch.  This may call for a quirk
table entry.

> What do those 2 complaints mean?  Should I worry?

As I read it, the complaint means that after detecting the scanner at
target 2 lun 0 and hooking it up as ss0, the probe code went on to
probe target 2 lun 1 and got back a rather rude "illegal request"
response.  (This is worthy of griping because it occurs not on the
TEST_UNIT_READY command but rather on the later INQUIRY command - note
the CDB contents.)

If ss0 works and you don't mind ignoring the noise on boot, I'd be
inclined to do nothing.  If you're feeling ambitious, you might try
adding an entry to scsi_quirk_patterns[], in sys/dev/scsipi/scsiconf.c,
perhaps something like

        {{T_SCANNER, T_FIXED,
         "UMAX    ", "Astra 1220S     ", "V1.3"}, SDEV_NOLUNS},

If you look for them, there are five[%] T_SCANNER/T_FIXED quirks
already in that file - including two for "UMAX" / "Astra 1220S" devices
(V1.2 and V2.9).  Presumably other people have had similar trouble with
other Astra 1220S devices from UMAX; you might even want to collapse
the two of them and your new one into a single entry

        {{T_SCANNER, T_FIXED,
         "UMAX    ", "Astra 1220S     ", ""}, SDEV_NOLUNS},

(unless I've got it wrong what that means).

[%] As of "scsiconf.c,v 1.122"; your sources may vary.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca