Subject: Re: Boot floppy
To: J. Heinrich <lists+netbsd@y.ml.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/25/1999 23:04:40
>> I'd recommend removing /export/home from fstab[%],
> Did this and rebooted just fine.
>> Then you can boot the install floppy, newfs /dev/rsd0h
> That went off without a hitch as well.  [...]

Sounds as though you're well on your way to a functional NetBSD install!

>> You just need to tell the console code to boot .../sd@3,0:h instead
>> of :a.[$]
> I think that'll be "boot sd(,,7)netbsd" on this old SS1+.

That looks right, for boot code that uses that syntax.  (Since you'll
have the NetBSD bootblocks on that partition, you can skip the "netbsd"
part; the NetBSD bootblocks default the kernel name to "netbsd".)

> The only anomaly I see at this point is:

>   md0: fixed, 3312 blocksdevice_register boot device mismatch
>           bootdv=fd0
>           altbootdev=NOT FOUND
>   RETURN to continue

> Which I'm assuming isn't much of a problem since I'm able to run
> stuff like ifconfig, mount, ftp, etc. from /dev/md0a on / .

I think you're probably right.  I suspect this whining is related to
the boot device being drastically different from the root device, and
once you get it booting from sd0h I expect it to go away.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca