Subject: Re: strange console text mode
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/16/1999 12:30:30
On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, der Mouse wrote:

# Quite a while ago, I converted gallant.r.19 to BDF format and have been
# using it in X since.

Easy enough to do if you use the xfont dumper in solaris.

# I don't know whether greywolf did the high-half characters

I did.

- old Sun
# consoles didn't have them; modern Sun consoles do.  But the Sun
# consoles that have them - at least the ones I've seen - have a rather
# ugly version, wherein (for example) the glyph you get if you take an Á
# and remove the accent does not match the glyph for A.

This is true.  I remained true to the actual console font.

# A while ago, in
# collaboration with a friend of mine who does typeface stuff...

Ray Larabie?

Yeah, it's not the most consistent font, but I like it nonetheless.
The first time I saw a Sun screen I didn't feel like I was looking
at a computer.  It was kind of nice.  So I made the font.  I'll send it
out to those requests I have received as soon as I'm back at home talking
to my system directly rather than through a corporate shared 56 KB link
whose firewall is Gauntlet v1.3 (and thus does not allow direct communi-
cation with 4.4BSD- or Solaris-2.(n>5)-based hosts because something
in the TCP/IP code can't deal with the newer packet format or something
like that...

[I am not getting 56K throughput, certainly!]

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: It keeps on going...and going...and going...