Subject: Re: strange console text mode
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/16/1999 09:25:04
>>> As for the font, is the font size constant across all the SPARCs
>>> that NetBSD runs on?
>> Yes, it's all Gallant 19.
> Strictly speaking, it's gallant-22

Well, gallant.r.19, then. :-/

This also is true only if you don't have RASTERCONS_SMALLFONT turned
on, in which case the font is the default "fixed" from X11R6.  (See
fb.c and rcons_font.h in arch/sparc/dev if you're curious.)

> [the BrokenWin font is Gallant-19, and fits in a 12x19 bounding box;
> the Sun console font is a 12x22 font.  I know this only because I
> hand-pixeled the Sun font one or two boring evenings and have it
> installed locally for use in X windows.  Anyone else want it?]

Quite a while ago, I converted gallant.r.19 to BDF format and have been
using it in X since.

I don't know whether greywolf did the high-half characters - old Sun
consoles didn't have them; modern Sun consoles do.  But the Sun
consoles that have them - at least the ones I've seen - have a rather
ugly version, wherein (for example) the glyph you get if you take an Á
and remove the accent does not match the glyph for A.  A while ago, in
collaboration with a friend of mine who does typeface stuff, I designed
a high-half for gallant.r.19 that I, at least, think looks nicer.  I'll
be happy to send the BDF file to anyone who wants a copy.  Looking at
the differences, I am especially unfond of the Sun version's Þ, þ, ß,
and £, though it's easier to single out characters that *aren't* in
need of a redesign than those that are.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca