Subject: X11 options for Tadpole 3gx ??
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/04/1999 00:45:29
I bought one of those tadpole 3gx's from the www.sqa.net/tadpole offer, and
have 1.4 installed on an external disk so I can postpone wiping the vanilla
solaris 2.5.1 install that ships on the internal drive. SCSI and network are
working great with NetBSD.

A search of the mail archive reveals that I should expect to be doing some
hacking in order to get X, PCMCIA, or power management running. All I really
care about right now is X.

The 1.4 kernel probes (but does not configure) the p9100 graphics chip, and
the Xsun provided with NetBSD-1.4 can't find a frame buffer device.

I spotted an X11R5 distrib on the tadpole website -- the README claims that
their graphics chip is "compatible with standard Sun framebuffer architecture"
and one of their Xsun options suggests that it could emulate a cgthree. But
the README also says that even under SunOS you need to mknod a a /dev/weitek0
which (not unexpectedly) I couldn't find in our MAKEDEV.

I tried to extract the compressed cpio archive using their instructions for
SunOS (uncompress < X11R5.cpio.Z | cpio -imud) but that hiccuped with this:
	cpio: premature end of file
	Segmentation fault (core dumped)
the core file was 'uncompress.core'.

If anyone has done some research into getting X support on the tadpole 3's,
I would love to hear from you. I'm hoping that there's an easier route to X
than hacking XFree86 4.0-beta in a month or so.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com