Subject: re: killing Solaris 2.5.1 with NetBSD-1.4 on an LX
To: Jon Buller <jonb@metronet.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/28/1999 12:48:33
   OK, I grabbed the miniroot and *.tgz files and went to work on my
   SUN424 disk.  I think I might be in trouble now, and it hasn't gone
   as well as I had hoped.

   First, a tiny nit. The install program inside miniroot-14.fs.gz
   said it was 1.3.3.  Next, I had my *.tgz files in my Solaris /var/tmp

that's strange. :-)

   directory.  This appears to have interesting repercussions...
   Telling the install program that you have the files there causes
   the partition to be mounted rw.  This clobbers the Solaris partition.

yes, i've not seen it happen myself but i've heard that this
happens.  i'm very careful to mount solaris ufs partitions
read only under NetBSD...

install programs should probably mount these partitions read-only
by default anyway if they are only being read from..

   To work around this, I loaded the *.tgz files on my Solaris /opt
   partition with "tar cvf /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s6 *.tgz"  (I didn't have
   much on there anyway, so I could afford to blow it away.)  Since
   the installer couldn't figure this method out, when I rebooted the
   miniroot, I killed the installer, untared the raw partition, and
   untared each .tgz file...

   I then ran MAKEDEV, and fixed /etc/rc.conf and friends (like
   /etc/hosts, etc.) and rebooted.  I got a login prompt, and thought
   things were going well, until I hit return after typing "root" and
   got:

   /usr/libexec/ld.so: login: libkrb.so.2.0: No such file or directory

   And another login prompt appeared...  I need this machine, as it
   is the console to my PC532 which is my "Internet router" with PPP
   links to all the other systems here, and the only modem.  I guess
   I can always pull out that Solaris CD...

   Any suggestions on what other file to fix, or where to get secr.tgz
   for a SPARCStation LX?

for the secr lossage, how did you get a 'secr' login without
having the 'secr.tgz' file in the first place ?  seems that
either only part of it has been installed, or there is some
other shared library lossage... is libkrb.so.2.0 in /usr/lib?
where did /usr/bin/login come from ?