Subject: Re: architecture specific kernels for sun4, sun4c, sun4m
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, fair@clock.org>
From: Paul Boven <paul@wit399401.student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/07/1999 00:26:09
Hi,

Making a custom kernel is quite easy, given the way NetBSD is set up.
And would only making a Sun4/4C/4M (4D? 4U?) kernel improve performance
enough or would one still need to make a really specific kernel that
only includes the drivers that are really needed? Otherwise, all that
you are really offering is a kernel that has been compiled after only
deleting a few machine-types from the top of the configuration-file, and
that is something that is very easy to have the user do once the system
is up and running.

I have had quite a number of different Sparcs around the house by now, and
always made specific kernels for these machines. Even when my fastest one
was an ELC that was not much of a problem.

Just my 2 cents etc :-)