Subject: ELF snapshot
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/1999 19:39:27
Christos and I have been working on the dynamic linker bits for sparc/ELF
The current ld.elf_so as it can be found in the tree, seems to be Ok.

Since the conversion from a.out to elf executables can have some amusing
effects, I have assembled an all-ELF snapshot for NetBSD/sparc.

This snapshot does not provide a smooth and painless upgrade path.
There is still a lot to take care of yourself:

	- to avoid shared library format clashes, create a `/emul/aout'
	  hierarchy, populated with various libx.so.* files you
	  need for your a.out programs, and of course, libexec/ld.so.
	  See also, Christos' makemeelf script.

	- build a kernel with COMPAT_AOUT support, and boot it.
	  A pre-compiled GENERIC_SCSI3 kernel can also be found in the snapshot.

	- unpack the snapshot sets.

	- warning: building kernels & boot programs probably doesn't work
	  with the elf linker.

The snapshot can be found in:

	ftp.netbsd.org:/ftp/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/snapshot/19990228.ELF

-pk