Subject: defaulting SPARC to -fPIC
To: Missing - presumed fed. <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/23/1999 15:29:29
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Missing - presumed fed. wrote:

: Seeing as there's been more stuff for which -fpic doesn't provide a large
: enough GOT, I think maybe we should just default to -fPIC.  I've been bitten
: by this at least five times since 1.1-sparc.

Since it's the assembler who cares about the difference between -fPIC and
-fpic, I *could* make SPARC's -fpic equivalent to -fPIC for 1.4 until such
time that we have a linker (binutils based, probably ELF) capable of dealing
with the difference.

The conundrum comes in with doing this for m68k, which is not so hot an
idea.  The m68k platform is affected in the same way, IIRC.