Subject: Re: cable for serial console.
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris J. Mutter <cjm@terminal.sil.at>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/28/1999 17:17:52
> On Jan 27, John P. Refling wrote
> > Anybody have the wiring diagram for making a cable
> > to attach the console of a sparc IPX with a IMB PC?
> >
> > Specifically I need a 8 pin mini din to a 9 pin d-sub
> > connector.
>
> You just need to connect TxD, RxD and GND from the sun to
> RxD, TxD, GND of the PC, respectively. On a 9 pin d-sub connector,
> TxD is pin3, RxD is pin2 and GND pin 5.
> On the 8 pin mini, you need to have a look at the sun hardware faq to
> find the pineout (I don't have it handy). Maybe someone else has it ?

+ DIN-8 serial port on SPARCstation IPC, others?

                 -------
                /  ===  \
               /         \
              /  6  7  8  \
              |           |
              |  3  4  5  |
              \           /
               \   1  2  /
                \_______/

        1  DTR          4  GND          7  DCD
        2  CTS          5  RxD          8  RxC (receive clock)
        3  TxD          6  RTS

(says http://msowww.anu.edu.au/~kim/faq/part2) ...
there unfortunatly is no IPX serial port setup .. but you can try the one
from the IPC.

later
cjm
--
 ** PGP-Key-ID: 0x975B2F19 - CJM17(-RIPE),SIL-MNT     http://www.enemy.org
 ** Coming soon: i486/160 w/ SCSI U2W-differential RAID System. stay tuned