Subject: Re: SPARCbook 2?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Maciolek <mikem@leftbank.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/19/1999 17:26:26
I believe Mr. Ibarra is talking about an RDI laptop.  Before RDI
and Tadpole merged into a single company, they were the two most
well known (but very distinct) Sparc laptop vendors; RDI's boxes
were based on the original Sun motherboards, and followed the
naming convention of 'BriteLite', 'PowerLite', 'UltraLite', etc.
There would be no trouble popping a Weitek accelerator in an RDI
BriteLite, as it would indeed be 'exactly the same architecture
as an IPX.'

Tadpole designed their own motherboards and they adopted the
naming scheme of 'SPARCbook', 'SPARCbook 2', etc.  While I don't
claim any particular knowledge of the Tadpole implementation, I
know that they did NOT provide an openboot PROM until the third
generation (SPARCbook 3), and I would generally expect Tadpole's
SPARCbook architecture to be substantially different from Sun's
original motherboards.

On the other hand, the NetBSD implementors have done a remarkable
job covering a wide range of hardware, and it wouldn't shock me to
learn that NetBSD does indeed run on a Tadpole SPARCbook.

I'd just like to know if you're making that particular claim from
your own experience with a Tadpole SPARCbook, or if you're talking
about an RDI BriteLite instead, just to set the record straight.

(I've got a Tadpole Sparcbook 2, haven't yet tried to run NetBSD
on it but I plan to as soon as I have a chance, hopefully in the
next few days.)

If Mr. Maynard has had any more luck with his SPARCbook 2, please
let me know either in this forum or by private Email.  Thanks!

	Michael Maciolek