Subject: Re: Is Sun4 (VMEbus) support any better now? Mee Too?
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Robert D. Keys <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/17/1999 14:43:47
> I've gotten a mouse and a really nice monitor for my 4/260 so I now want
> to give things another try.

I went snooping around my 4/260 last night, and found out the following:

Machine:  4/260 with 501-1522 cpu
          4 each 8 meg ram cards
          1 each scsi card (external) slot 7
          1 each cgthree frame buffer card

Drives:  2 each internal 67mb Fujitsu mfm 2243S drives on sd0 and sd1,
         with mfm-scsi controller.

Tape:  60mb Wangtek (possibly 150mb, but dunno for sure yet).

Monitor:  color and mono monitors (color hooked up now - no mono cable).

Keyboard:  Sun3 keyboard.

The machine boots (or tries to) off the internal mfm drives, but tries
to mount usr from sd2 (an external drive that I don't have).  So, I at
least know the hardware is there in a minimal fashion.

So, the question arises..... is it possible to boot a netbsd onto this
ancient sparc box FROM TAPE, that will fit on a pair of 60mb mfm drives?
That should be enough to get it up, and I can mount an external something
or other later.  I was reading the install docs, and it appears that there
is no way to BOOT the sparc off tape?????, like on the Sun3?  Tell me that
is not so....., and that I am merely misunderstanding how it works.  Logic
would suggest that It should be possible to create a sparc boot tape in the
same maner as the 68000 boot tape, but, alas, I don't seem to get the right
picture of it, yet, and did not see a MakeBootTape script in the sparc
tree.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks...

Bob Keys

p.s.  If a NetBSD sparc boot tape is not possible, anyone got a spare
      sunos (any early vme sparc vintage) boot tape set?

p.p.s.  I may have the right scsi cable to hook an external box up, and
        I may have the sun external box scsi cable and a loose external
        dual drive box.  If that can be made to hookemup, correctly, anyone
        got the drive parameters for quantum LPS240 or LPS540 drives?
        Either of those or both should allow me some external space.