Subject: Re: What SIMMs for an IPX?
To: None <Marc.Gutschner@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE>
From: Paul Boven <paul@wit399401.student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/17/1999 14:00:25
Hi Marc, everyone,

The Sparc IPX (and it's close family) need one bit parity simms: That
is, 33 bits 72 pins.
However, they work just fine with 'regular' 4 bit parity simms. I used
those in my SLC and ELC and now in my IPX without any problems. The three
extra parity bits don't seem to bother this box at all (uptimes >100days).
I actually have a mixed configuration of 33 and 36 bits simms in here.

And 64MB is indeed the maximum memory for an IPX.

> I have a IPX sitting on my desk quit happily running NetBSD (thanks alot
> to all who made it happen :-)) and now am contemplating upgrading memory.
> Now the SIMMs that are inside (2 x 16MB) do not _exactly_ look like your
> ordinary, run-of-the-mill 72pin modules... Are these in any way special,
> i.e. like what HP did on their 7xx series? Or can I just plug in some
> standard SIMMs (with parity?) to get up to the - AFAIK - 64MB limit?

Happy hacking.
Paul.
Paul Boven, <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>  PE1NUT  QRV 145.575 JO32KF
"I got the feeling that the person that wrote it acutally liked Linux.
			But maybe I'm on drugs"
 Linus Torvalds, about a leaked M$ memo on plans to undermine Linux.
~