Subject: Is Sun4 (VMEbus) support any better now?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/16/1999 13:07:20
I've gotten a mouse and a really nice monitor for my 4/260 so I now want
to give things another try.

The machine is now running 1.3_BETA.  I'm wondering if any VMEbus stuff
has been fixed since then.  Mainly I mean the problems are the ie0
network driver and the xy451 SMD controller driver.

The network driver generates DMA underruns and this causes brief
hesitations.  The message is:
---
antares /netbsd: ie0: DMA underrun
---

The SMD driver hangs the machine for a while when there is heavy disk
I/O and when this happens it usually kills a process.  The message is:
---
antares /netbsd: xyc0: watchdog timeout
antares /netbsd: xyc0: soft reset
---
It is my understanding that this happens because the driver
occasionally misses an interrupt.
(No, I don't want to retire my Super Eagle... it's much too cool.  :-)

I'd also like to get some more memory for this system... 8 megs really
isn't enough, and it'd be nice to add a 32 meg board.  The problem is
that I don't want to spend too much money on this... I'm just doing this
for fun.  However, I do have hardware I'd be willing to trade.

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |