Subject: Re: MAKEDEV is not portable
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/03/1999 17:33:18
> NEITHER mknod nor gtar will help you here - both work with split major and
> minor device numbers instead of a 32-bit combined dev_t.
>
> What we ned to have is some sort of cross-mknod that can DTRT with NetBSD
> device numbering.  See <sys/types.h> for the arrangement of NetBSD dev_t's.

Actually, you may have severe problems using "wide dev_t's" via NFS
on servers that do not natively use "wide dev_t's".  E.g. on an NFS server
running SunOS, which has 16-bit device node representations, you'll
not be able to use any of the high 16 bits in your diskless client's
/dev directory. All those high bits are simply snipped off by the
SunOS NFS server code.

-pk