Subject: Re: MAKEDEV is not portable
To: Robert Evans <r.evans@ic.ac.uk>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/03/1999 01:08:01
	We seem to go out of our way to make it hard for people on
	this one.

    Some obvious options:

	1. Provide a dev.tgz
	    Extract with gtar (if system's native tar failed on dev nodes)

	2. Make init use mfs /dev as needed
	    It already has magic to cope with an msdosfs root. This could
	    be made generic. The only problem would be converting an mfs
	    /dev system to a normal /dev, but as long as a procedure was
	    documented it should be OK. Or could use a devfs.

	3. Make MAKEDEV work on 'legacy' systems
	    Back to previous status quo as of 1.2 (I believe).

	My preference would be 2...

		David/absolute

                  -=-  and team B will be... Kenny.  -=-