Subject: Still trying to install ..
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: conley steve <mz4xgs@rssc.slg.eds.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/10/1998 09:54:28
Okay, well, I think I have everything ironed out but it still doesn't
work.

My bootparam file looks like this:

kramer  root=jael:/netbsd

When I use callbootd this gives me very nice results and looks like
it should work.  In fact, this is what I see when the sun box tries
to do the whoami call (in the syslog file):

Dec 10 10:46:08 jael in.tftpd[2923]: connect from 204.230.21.98
Dec 10 10:46:10 jael rpc.bootparamd: whoami got question for 204.230.21.98
Dec 10 10:46:10 jael rpc.bootparamd: This is host kramer.rssc.slg.eds.com
Dec 10 10:46:10 jael rpc.bootparamd: Returning kramer   rssc.slg.eds.com
204.230.21.1

You can see, Kramer the IPX box is connecting TFTP, downloading fine.
Then it does the whoami.  Jael, the server, returns the appropriate
information.  Kramer, the IPX, rejects it saying:

recvrpc: reject, astat=1, errno=1
bootparamd:'whoami' call faild
Can't open network device `/sbus@1,f8000000/le@0,c00000'
open: netbsd: Operation not permitted
device[/sbus@1,f8000000/le@0,c00000]: <PROMPT>

I'm at a total loss.  The documentation says read a `man diskless' for
diskless setup, I don't have this doco, and apparently all the little
magic secrets are in it :-)

I also have a bootp server running on jael, and I'm pretty sure that's
working if it's possible to use that instead.

Thanks!

Steve Conley