Subject: Re: Looking to make a Sparc bootable cdrom, any instructions?
To: None <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/21/1998 18:52:16
Hi,

> 	Does anyone know how the Sun CDS are formatted?  It looks like they're
> multi-session cds with the last session being the ISO9660 session.  The
> previous sessions seem like UFS filesystems with bootable headers on them.

No, Sun CDs are _not_ multi-session.  In fact, at least the early Sun CD
drives wouldn't read multiple sessions anyway.

If you look at the CD with an ordinary sound CD drive, you'll note that
there is only one track, and the drive will not want to play it (as it's
marked as containing data, not sound).

This one track is logically organized just as a harddisk, with a disklabel
and several partitions.  The first of these partitions (not the last) is
formatted according to the ISO9660 standard.  The rest of the partitions
are formatted with UFS filesystems.  Depending on the type of machine,
the prom will select one of these partitions to boot from.

For the rest of what happens, see my other post.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--
ws@TooLs.DE     (Wolfgang Solfrank, TooLs GmbH) 	+49-228-985800