Subject: CD Ripping under NetBSD/Sparc
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@exit109.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/19/1998 09:56:59
With all the discussion of playing .mp3's on a Sparc 1+, I'm reminded of a
question I've been meaning to ask...

Is it possible to do CD-Audio ripping under NetBSD/Sparc? If so, what do I
need?

I have a Sparc 2 (36mb, 2gb disk) with a Toshiba XM-4401 CD-ROM (double-speed,
the same one that is in a Sparc 5). AFAIR, this CD will support audio
ripping.

I'be built Tosha from the package and while it seems to run, I am dubious
as to whether it actually is collecting any valid audio. Any attempts to
convert the 'raw' output of Tosha to either a WAV or an MP3 (under
Windows, MS-DOS, or NetBSD) just seems to get me a lot of screeching.

Am I missing something or is there some lack/limitation in NetBSD/sparc
which prevents it from working.

Thanks...
<<<john>>>