Subject: Re: ss1+ and audio
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Wally Hinson <whinson@aracnet.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/16/1998 00:51:16
>On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>>Yah, but a cool toy it is.  I firmly believe that its big brother,
>>the SS2, was probably Sun's Last Great Workhorse.  A 40MHz SS2 still
>>makes a very decent mail+dns server or workstation.

Hey, out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there between the
SS1+/SS2 onboard SCSI controllers?  I've been running NetBSD on an SS1+
with what the esp driver reports to be the original revision of the chip,
and it's *slow* -- I seem to spend a lot of time waiting for the disk.  If
I can pick up a cheap bare SS2 and move my disks, framebuffer, and memory
over, would it be reasonable to expect an improvement in disk performance,
or would I end up with a faster system that still has to wait for this
disk?  Just wondering...