Subject: RE: Question/Help?
To: port-sparc@netbsd.org <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/08/1998 01:49:49
[ On Wed, October 7, 1998 at 21:37:24 (-0700), Eduardo E. Horvath wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: Question/Help?
>
> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Christopher C. Tjon wrote:
>
> > No, in fact, it is a Toshiba XM-3601B.  I was not aware of the difference.
> >  Do you think a more modern prom would help or do I need to go out and find
> > a Sun CDROM?  Additionally, I can read the disk under Windows NT.  That
> > suggests that the drive will read the disk but without the right boot proms
> > it doesn't matter?
>
> I think you need a Sun CDROM, unless you can figure out how to kick
> the Toshiba into 512-byte block mode.  AFAIK there are no PROMs for sun4c
> machines that let them boot from 2048 sector CDROMs.

If it's like a TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-3301TA (which is what I have) then
there's one or two tiny traces to cut, or jumper(s) to remove that'll
reduce the block size.

Somewhere there's an on-line FAQ answer or maybe even on-line manuals
from Toshiba for the drive....  Check the Sun Hardware Reference for
clues.  It seems to still be available here:

	ftp://ftp.picarefy.com/pub/Sun-Hardware-Ref/OLD/

--
							Greg A. Woods