Subject: Re: Question/Help?
To: Christopher C. Tjon <cctjon@home.com>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/07/1998 09:28:52
Are you sure this is a Sun CDROM?  Sun CDROM drives use 512 byte sectors
(for stupid historical reasons you really don't want to know about).  All
other CDROM drives use 2048 byte sectors.  Although you might be able to
use standard 2048 sector CDROMs once the OS has booted, you can't get the
PROMs to boot from a 2048 sector drive.

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Christopher C. Tjon wrote:

> Ok, I have made some progress.  I think I need to start again with a little
> different question.  This question will focus more on the SPARCstation 2
> prom than NetBSD.  I am trying to install Solaris 2.6 from CD onto a
> SPARCstation 2 that previously ran NetBSD-1.3.0.  My internal disks have
> been wiped clean.  My ROM's are Rev. 2.2.  At the ok prompt, I type "boot
> cdrom"  the system responds:
>
> Boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@6,0:c     File and args:
> Bad magic number in disk label
> Can't open Sun disk label package
> Can't open boot device
> ok
>
> Can anyone help me make sense of this?  I am not sure why the disklabel on
> the cdrom would be unreadable by the prom unless it is corrupted or it is
> too old to understand the disklabel on the 2.6 cdrom
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me