Subject: Re: FW: Question/Help?
To: Christopher C. Tjon <cctjon@home.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/05/1998 11:33:13
> [...Solaris 2.6 on SS2...]  This machine once ran NetBSD/Sparc.  My
> ROM revision is 2.2.  The boot-device is /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@6,0:a
> and my boot-file is /kernel/genunix.

I'm assuming you mean those are what are set in the boot-from and
boot-file (or whatever they're called "my" SS2 is not where I am now)
in the PROM.

> When the system boots, you get the following output:

> NetBSD/Sparc Secondary Boot Revision 1.7
> Pk@flambard Thu May 7 3:19:25 MEST 1998
> open: netbsd: no such file or directory
> bad magic number in disk label
> can't open sun disk label package
> can't open boot device
> ok

This is *bizarre*.  That *claims* to be a NetBSD bootblock, but it
isn't - the NetBSD SPARC bootblocks announce themselves as
NetBSD/sparc, not NetBSD/Sparc, at least as of 1.7 (what I've got, and
the revision that one claims to be).  They also have a >> prefix on the
lines similar to those, and the "Pk@flambard" looks like a botched
parody of the who-compiled-it-and-when line they print.

Are you *sure* nobody's been attacking your system?  This looks like
the kind of sloppy lookalike I'd expect a half-competent cracker to
come up with.  (Though that's not very plausible here, because that
sort of semi-clued wannabe isn't likely to be good enough to concoct
bootblocks that work well enough for you to not notice when they got
replaced.  I dunno *what* is going on.)

> It looks to me like they have stored a boot block somewhere and I am
> not sure how to fix this.  Is it in the prom?

Unless you've got a *very* unusual PROM, those first two lines are not
in the PROM, so they must be somewhere on your disk.

> On the boot sectors of one of my disks?  I don't think it is as they
> should be clean (low level formatted).

Are you certain *all* disks in the machine got low-level formatted?
There may be an internally-mounted drive you're not aware of.  Check
with "probe-scsi" at the PROM "ok" prompt and make sure you know what
piece of hardware each reported device corresponds to....

> Boot device: /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@6,0 File and args: /kernel/genunix
> Bad magic number in disk label
> Can't open Sun disk label package
> Can't open boot device
>
> It doesn't make any sense to me.  Are these messages coming from the prom?

Almost certainly yes.  The PROM can generate messages very much like
these when it finds a disk without what it thinks is a valid disklabel.
Are you sure SCSI ID 6 is the disk you installed Solaris onto?
Offhand, I'd expect that to be the CD-ROM drive.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca