Subject: Re: Fujitsu DS series workstations
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: None <patl@phoenix.volant.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/15/1998 13:39:29
>      If its a genuine clone then I'd expect it to Just Work
>      (I've used a ss2, a classic, and a ss5 clone, each from
>      a different manufacturer, all without problems :)
>
> On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:
> > Has anyone tried installing NetBSD on a Fujitsu DS series workstation?
> > I'm particularly interested in the DS/90, the DS Station 7230, and
> > another DS Station which appears to differ from the 7230 only in the
> > use of a 40MHz CPU instead of 30MHz.

They aren't exact clones; but I don't know just how different they
are.  I'm still trying to find any sort of documentation about these
beasts; or at least someone who has used one before...

The DS/90 looks pretty much like a SS-10 or SS-20; but with a
different layout.  The DS Stations appear to be roughly SS-2
equivalents; but with a much different layout - they have an
extension board out the bottom that connects to another board
with two more S-Bus slots and a modem slot.  All of the machines
have parallel ports and an 8 pin mini-DIN connector labeled 'PC'.
The DS/90 has a second one labeled 'EXPC'.  (This is in addition
to the DB-25 serial ports.)  Also, the DS Stations use ROSS CY7C604
processors.  (Two are '-40GC GP', one '-40GC ES', and one '-33GC
ES'.  I have no idea what the difference is between the 'GP' and
'ES' versions.)

I'm not sure exactly what processor the DS/90 is using.  It is an
M-Bus module with a large rectangular heat sink over the entire
processor/connector end of the board.  (Except for corner notches.)
There is a 'ROSS Technology' sticker on the heat sink; but no further
identification.  The board itself has '270-6214-51' along one edge;
and on the bottom is:

	C3MLZ1   94V-0
	LOT#8230A
	3594
	SER#37

The 3 in the first line is raised; but the same font size as the
rest.  The 37 in the last line is scratched into a small black box.

All five came without RAM; and only two had any disk.  The three
that I don't have model numbers for have stickers in Japanese.  So
far, I haven't tried turning them on.  (I was hoping for some info
about what type and sizes of SIMMs they take, and if there are any
slot-order dependancies.)

Thanks,
-Pat