Subject: NetBSD/sparc and SPARCstation Voyager
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Dan Poler <dpoler@mediaone.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/12/1998 09:37:03
I have just come into the lucky position of acquiring a SPARCstation
Voyager -- a sun4m architecture machine with a 60Mhz MicroSPARC,
1024x768 integrated TFT display, cgsix, ISDN BRI, le Ethernet, etc.

I'd love for NetBSD to run on this machine, as it is 16/340 which is a
bit low for Solaris. There is no mention on the Sparc port page of this
machine, either supported or unsupported...

So, I dd'ed a miniroot over to it (1.3.2) and tried booting it:

SPARCstation Voyager, Keyboard Present
ROM Rev. 2.16, 16MB Memory Installed, Serial #XXXXXXX
Ethernet Address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, Host ID: XXXXXXXX

Rebooting with command: disk:b netbsd -s

>> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.7
>> (pk@flambard, Thu May 7 03:19:25 MEST 1998)
Booting netbsd @ 0x4000
1384448+117224+74608+[78156+91541]=0x1ae441
console is keyboard/display
panic: findzs: zs1 not mapped by PROM
halted

ok

I booted up Solaris 2.6 in verbose mode and was able to learn:
zs0 at obio0: obio 0x100000 sparc ipl 12
zs0 is /obio/zs@0,100000
zs1 at obio0: obio 0x0 and 0x300002 sparc ipl 12
zs1 is /obio/zs@0,0

So, it seems that this machine has all the appropriate schtuff to be
supported by NetBSD/sparc but maybe at different addresses? I'm an
administrator, not a programmer, so I'm making educated guesses at this
point. :)

Would anyone be interested in working with me on this? Or just telling
me where to go/what to do from here? I can provide addressing
information, etc. as needed if someone can help me get this system up
and running.

Much appreciated!

Dan

--