Subject: Re: Installing
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/11/1998 20:17:02
> I have a running sun4c box, and a new sun4m box that I want to
> install on.

> [H]ere's the problem, I have only one monitor and keyboard.

> I need the monitor and kbd on the 4m to get it going, but the 4c
> won't boot without a kbd.  It looks like booting without a monitor is
> working, but I'm not certain, just judging from the disk activity.
> But if I leave the monitor on, and remove the kbd, it doesn't even
> try.  Says no kbd, using terminal console (or words to that effect)
> and stops.

Why are you certain it stops?  Just because output stops coming to the
screen?  It probably is continuing happily, except that it's talking to
ttya rather than the framebuffer/keyboard, so you can't see it.  If you
leave it, it should come up as far as it would with the keyboard
connected.

This may or may not help.  If you can, I'd say the best suggestion is
to move the 4m's disk to the 4c, install onto it, and move it back.
(Be careful with installboot; if the version on your 4c is old enough,
you may have to do a bit of coaxing to get it to DTRT for the 4m.  Or
did the unified-bootblock fix predate 4m support?  I forget.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca