Subject: Re: suntools/win* devices, pixrect stuff...
To: David DiGiacomo <dd@Adobe.COM>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/04/1998 10:22:58
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, David DiGiacomo wrote:

 * There is a public pixrect clone, or I guess the old libraries could be
 * used.

Where?

 * >> I realise that the majority of users out there think that suntools is quite
 * >> possibly the worst UI this side of NT, but one thing I discovered that it
 * >> has over BrokenWindows, and even X, is speed.  Suntools comes up blindingly
 * >> fast, especially on something like a Sparc 10 or Sparc 20.  I don't use it
 * >> as a user, but I used to like to run it as super-user when all I needed was
 * >> some quick windows.
 *
 * This is the part I don't understand, because the X11R5 or X11R6 server
 * doesn't take that long to start up.  If your X startup is taking too long,
 * take a close look at your .xinitrc and .xserverrc, trim your font path,
 * use a smaller window manager, etc.

Well, actually, it's not the server or wm that's taking so long to start
up, the windows take too long to activate.

I will concede that I'm using fvwm2, but even once that's loaded (it's
not doing anything terribly fancy, but I do notice its dogginess) it
takes a while.

 *
 * Once the X server is running, text display and scrolling in an xterm are
 * much faster than in a SunView shelltool, which tends to wipe out a couple
 * of seconds difference in startup time.
 *
 *
 * David DiGiacomo
 * former pixrect developer
 *

				--*greywolf;
--
Friends don't let friends use Microsoft.