Subject: Re: suntools/win* devices, pixrect stuff...
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/01/1998 01:33:58
> From greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com Sat Aug  1 01:08:48 1998
> From: greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com (James Graham - Systems Mangler)
> Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 00:11:00 -0700
> To: port-sparc@netbsd.org
> Subject: suntools/win* devices, pixrect stuff...
>
> Hiya,
>
> I realise that the majority of users out there think that suntools is quite
> possibly the worst UI this side of NT, but one thing I discovered that it
> has over BrokenWindows, and even X, is speed.  Suntools comes up blindingly
> fast, especially on something like a Sparc 10 or Sparc 20.  I don't use it
> as a user, but I used to like to run it as super-user when all I needed was
> some quick windows.
>
> The problem, as you might well imagine, is that the pixrect stuff is not
> supported, and neither are the win* devices.  I had all the libraries and
> had all the device nodes present, but it failed with either ENOSYS or
> ENODEV, both of which indicate a lack of a driver to deal with the calls.
>
> I know the cgsix driver is WOEfully short on its capabilities; according
> to the manual page, there is just enough of an implementation in our kernel
> to make X go.  What would it take to complete the implementation?
> (as a kernel compile-time option, of _course_, and disabled by default --
> not everyone wants to run this cruft).

suntools was an application that had a tremendous ammount of code
support in the kernel. as a result, it ran fast. but it was highly
non-portable as you are now finding out. pixrect is the fundamental
object of suntools and it would be a real bitch to support this.

i would put this on the list of will never support. after all, remember
suntools was created around 1984 timeframe.

-brad w.