Subject: suntools/win* devices, pixrect stuff...
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James Graham - Systems Mangler <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/01/1998 00:11:00
Hiya,

I realise that the majority of users out there think that suntools is quite
possibly the worst UI this side of NT, but one thing I discovered that it
has over BrokenWindows, and even X, is speed.  Suntools comes up blindingly
fast, especially on something like a Sparc 10 or Sparc 20.  I don't use it
as a user, but I used to like to run it as super-user when all I needed was
some quick windows.

The problem, as you might well imagine, is that the pixrect stuff is not
supported, and neither are the win* devices.  I had all the libraries and
had all the device nodes present, but it failed with either ENOSYS or
ENODEV, both of which indicate a lack of a driver to deal with the calls.

I know the cgsix driver is WOEfully short on its capabilities; according
to the manual page, there is just enough of an implementation in our kernel
to make X go.  What would it take to complete the implementation?
(as a kernel compile-time option, of _course_, and disabled by default --
not everyone wants to run this cruft).

				--*greywolf;
--
Rule #1:
    If you can't interrupt it, terminate it.