Subject: Re: ldconfig Help!
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Mike Ekholm <ekholm@visi.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/10/1998 21:52:31
i rwmounted the root filesystem, renamed the file, and still got about 15
core dumps during the boot process. also got the messages:

init: getty repeating to quickly pn port /dev/console, sleeping.

where should i go fro here?

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, der Mouse wrote:

> > Ok.  I have a SS1 with NetBSD 1.2.1. what I did was issue the
> > 'ldconfig' command with no options as root.  [now everything, or at
> > least everything dynamically linked, dumps core]
>
> > the only way that I got the system up was booting in single user
> > mode, that worled fine.
>
> > 1. where do i go now to get my system running again?
>
> What you did *shouldn't've* caused a problem, as I understand ldconfig.
> Try removing the hints file (/var/run/ld.so.hints, I think) and either
> rerunning ldconfig or just rebooting.
>
> > 2. i tried a "mount /dev/rsd0d /usr" and I got s message like :block
> >    device required" how do i mount the usr partitoon.
>
> Use the block device instead of the raw device, as the message implies.
> Assuming the command you gave was otherwise correct, this would mean
> "mount /dev/sd0d /usr".
>
> > 3. from what i could tell, the filesystem is read only, is this true?
>
> The root filesystem, yes.  If you don't want that, "mount /" will
> remount it read/write.  You probably should fsck it first, though (the
> same is true of /usr, actually).
>
> 					der Mouse
>
> 			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
> 		     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

 -Mike

--
        ekholm@nospam.visi.com | http://www.visi.com/~ekholm | quake:Nalez
          nospam is valid, filter provided by my isp http://www.visi.com