Subject: Re: Modem communication limitations w/ ZiLog 8530
To: Abraham J. Stephens <stephea@aasis.albany-academy.org>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/09/1998 10:51:13
At 10:05 PM -0400 7/7/98, Abraham J. Stephens wrote:
>Hi, I have a sparc IPX I just installed netbsd on saturday.  I am
>currently attempting to communicate with a modem through a Zilog 8530
>serial port. (8 pin DIN) Question 1: Is there any way to test if the modem
>is connected correctly other then using a chat script to dial it?

I think cu will let you do this also, and it is more interactive than chat,
you can just type in stuff and see what the modem does.

>Question 2: The man page for zstty states that the interface limits the
>possible baud rate on many machines.  Is connecting to a modem throught
>this interface worth it? (speed wise) This might be out of the scope of
>conversation for this list (forgive me) but what are my other options?

Only certain speeds are permitted. They are listed in the source. I don't
remember em all, but if one doesn't work, try another.

I use the same set up, and it works fine for me. Not super speedy, but I
only have a 28.8 modem.

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614