Subject: need the real poop on openbsd/netbsd/linux sparc - who's doing what?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Parker <brad@parker.boston.ma.us>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/05/1998 22:27:19
Hi!

someone recently returned an old SS1+ to me (16mb).  On a lark I
installed linux/sparc.  It had some kernel malloc leaks and was not
stable for me.  So then I installed OpenBSD/sparc.  Worked like charm.
easy install, very stable.

I went to the openbsd/sparc mailing list archive and found very little
traffic.  I went to the netbsd/sparc mailing list and found lots of
traffic (and a bunch of names I recognize :-). This makes me want to
switch to netbsd/sparc, since it appears there is more active work
going on in the netbsd/sparc camp...  is this true?

no flame wars please.  I'm agnostic.  I use nt, solaris 2.5, linux and
freebsd on a daily basis.  I used to read netbsd-current daily :-)

I am curious, however - where is the most free-unix-ish/sparc *kernel*
development going on?  is it netbsd/sparc?  is this the most stable
free unix platform for sparc? (and how close are the netbsd & openbsd
sparc kernels?)

my real issue is that image activation is really slow... slower than
sunos 4.1...  does the new UVM code speed this up for lowly 25mhz ss1+'s?

[and yes, I read the archives - feel free to point out if I missing something]

-brad