Subject: Re: NetBSD newbie, network install?
To: Rik van Mierlo <rik@ricardis.tudelft.nl>
From: Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/24/1998 10:47:56
Rik van Mierlo said:
>I have a SS1, currently running RedHat 4.2, but I want to switch to
>NetBSD.
>
>Is there a way to install it from a Linux-server?
>
>tftpboot is working, but after that it times out on the WHOAMI REQUEST.
>I couldn't find bootp for linux, and the documentation on DHCP isn't all
>that clear to me.

I've only done this from a FreeBSD server, but it should be pretty similar
for Linux boxen.  Bootp probably needs to be enabled in /etc/inetd.conf.
There should be a line similar to this:

#bootps	dgram	udp	wait	root	/usr/sbin/bootpd	bootpd

Just remove the comment marker at the start of the line to enable it
(didn't you have to do that to enable tftpd already?).  Do you actually
need bootpd though?  I just ran bootparamd and everything was fine once I
got my NFS exports right.

The manpage for diskless(8) on *BSD explains the whole process quite well;
if you don't have a running BSD machine available you can get the manpage
from:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi

HTH,

	Scott

Scott Mitchell          | PGP Key ID |"If I can't have my coffee, I'm just
<scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>   | 0x54B171B9 | like a dried up piece of roast goat"
QMW College, London, UK | 0xAA775B8B |     -- J. S. Bach.