Subject: Re: Sparc2 problems part II
To: Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/31/1998 18:03:55
On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Kyle Mestery wrote:

: Sparc2, headless with a vt100 terminal on ttya.  32MB of RAM, 1 internal
: SCSI disk, 2 external SCSI disks.  The Sparc is powered on and after 5
: seconds, I get a "WARNING: Cannot determine keyboard type" on the serial
: console.  After that, nothing.

How long did you wait?  You should wait about 30-45 seconds for the boot
messages to come up.  This is after the keyboard notice.  (I have a SS2 with
precisely the same setup.)

:  Now, if I recall correctly, when you turn
: a Sparc2 on, shouldn't it beep right away?

No.  IIRC, only the Sparc4 and later models did the power-on beep.