Subject: DBRI/CS4215 resources web site (Re: DBRI kernel driver.)
To: None <dfrasnel@caf1.caf.wvu.edu>
From: Daniel Frasnelli <dfrasnel@caf1.caf.wvu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/04/1998 23:47:19
Yuri and others,
        I planned to create a web page with links to sites containing either
code or documentation for the DBRI audio/ISDN device over the university
holiday next week, but threw together a draft page tonight for public
access.  I have seen several messages posted over the past couple years
like the one below, and each time the answer has been either "There's not
enough demand for it" or "DBRI initialization is too complex without
documentation".  I recall seeing one message which indicated that the
initial funding from Sun for the NetBSD/sparc port did not include provisions
for "bells and whistles" - such as audio and/or ISDN.
        This rationale held legitimate grounds while the LX/SS10/etc.
were Sun's consumer level workstation offerings.  Now that (as far as I
know) the CS4215/DBRI has been replaced by another chipset in the Ultra
line (CS4231), I see no reason why documentation can not be made available
to developers.  It is my understanding that, in fact, Rudolf Koenig
(author of the elementary DBRI/CS4215 drivers for Linux) has received
help in the way of documentation from Sun.
        At any rate, you can get to the page I mentioned above by going to:
http://www.caf.wvu.edu/~dfrasnel/html/DBRI_ref.html
I have no other web pages up (still working on the rest) except this one,
so it's probably not worth your time poking around elsewhere in my html
directory :-)

Enjoy,
Daniel Frasnelli

--