Subject: Modems, GNU cc, and various ramblings
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Frasnelli <dfrasnel@caf1.caf.wvu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/04/1998 19:55:22
Greetings all,
	Because the possibility exists that I shall be moving soon (and
losing the permanent 10bT connexion), I have begun looking for modems to
use on my box for dial-up PPP.  Hardware here is an SS10 (regular, not /BSX)
running NetBSD-1.3.  I'll probably turn to pricewatch.com to find the
best price on whatever modem I decide to purchase, but need to know some
basic information about my options.  First, what is the maximum speed
modem supported on the SS10's serial port(s) - because the prices continue
to fall, I would like to go with a 56k X2 if possible.  Second, is there
a specific model/brand I should stay away from (or is this more a matter of
religion..)?
	Also, has anyone compiled GNU cc 2.7.2.3+g77 successfully under
1.3/sparc? I noticed that 1.3 comes standard with 2.7.2.2+myc1 - is
there an equivalent +myc for 2.7.2.3+g77? :-)
	And lastly, I have begun work on a group of web pages promoting
the use of BSD (Free/Net/Open/etc.) in science/math settings.  I should
have a basic set of pages with a selection of ported programs online by
16 March (after spring break :-)  My question is this - I am interested
in feedback on whether such a project is both applicable and desired for
the BSD community (I realize that traditionally *BSD has been used in
CS/CE/network services/hobbyist capacities).

Thank you for your input,
Daniel
--