Subject: msgbuf seems to get cleared upon reboot. is this intentional?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/1998 00:35:48
	Hello.  I notice that on NetBSD/Sparc 1.3, when a machine is rebooted,
the msgbuf storing the kernel messages seems to be cleared.  It ised to be,
and still is true for Solaris, that if a kernel wrote to the msgbuf, then
died, the next booting kernel would push the unmarked stuff out of
/dev/log, which would then transfer it to syslog's contro, either for
saving or for discarding.  I'm hhaving trouble diagnosing a problem I'm
having where the kernel reboots and leaves narry a trace of why it went.  I
can't force a dump because the swap is too small, and I don't really need
the full core file.  The panic messages, not just the cause as reported by
savecore, would probably be enough.  Is this change deliberate?  Why not
let the kernel write the unwritten buffer out upon startup?
-thanks
-Brian