Subject: non-optional SUN4* options?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Nelson <David.Nelson@BellCow.COM>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/12/1998 22:12:33
	This is with NetBSD 1.3

	I ran into a "problem" on a 4M architecture machine this
evening.

	I recently built a kernel for one of the 4M machines I have
here: longhorn a sparc 5/110.  It's always been my habit to strip
my kernel config files back to what I feel is necessary.  So, I took
out "options SUN4" and "options SUN4C".  The only type of Sun
architecture I (currently) have is SUN4M.  I also stripped out all the
non-relevant devices. I also upped some values e.g. "maxusers 64" and
so on. The same sort of normal kernel configuration I've been doing for
years.  I booted this kernel up about a week ago and everything was doing
fine.

	Tonight I happened to ftp a rather large file (~ 6M) from
another machine to longhorn.  Longhorn panic'ed with the following
console message: "dvma_mapin: null page frame".  This crash was easily
repeated: ftp the file and watch the machine crash.  After poking
around in the source, I decided to add the "options SUN4" and
"options SUN4C" lines back into longhorn's config file.  This was the
only change I made and the panic went away.

	Is it possible to build a single Sun architecture NetBSD
kernel?  The GENERIC config file sure implies it.  If it isn't
possible, perhaps the example config files should be updated to
make that clear.

/dcn