Subject: State of serial ports in 1.3 (Was: Re: enlightenment on zs overruns)
To: None <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/11/1998 19:18:43
A few months ago, pk wrote:

> Folks, I've made a few changes to locore.s (basically Chuq's patch posted
> here earlier) that makes a newly selected process after a context switch
> run at splclock() rather than splhigh().  This should solve all serial
> line overflow problems and will probably allow operating any port
> at 51200 baud.

I'm still running 1.2.1 (*ducks to avoid rotten tomatoes*) due to work
pressures and deadlines preventing me from having time to upgrade.

I have a few questions:

(a) Did these changes make it into 1.3?  I'm guessing they did, since the
    date on the 1.3 /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/sparc/locore.s seems to be
    from the day after this mail of Paul's.

(b) Paul mentions "51200 baud" above.  Is that really supposed to be 51200?
    Or 57600?  (Or a dyslexic take on 115200?  (-: )

(c) Since these changes went in, has anyone tried to run a serial port at
    higher than 38400, either under 1.3 or -current?

I just got a new USRobotics Courier V.Everything x2 modem, and I'm thinking
of switching my home PPP link to go through my NetBSD machine (SS20/71) if
a steady 38400 baud - or higher - without FIFO overruns/silo overflows is now
possible.  I'd buy a 56K modem for home if NetBSD can support > 38400 baud
speeds without dropouts and overruns nowadays ...

In a related vein, I've been using DP 4.0 as my work-side PPP link for ages
with no trouble.  Is the PPP implementation in NetBSD 1.3 - PPP 2.3 is it? -
able to do dial-out on demand, like DP 4.0 can?

Thanks for any serial port enlightenment,

	- Greg