Subject: UVM and SparcStation5
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kurt Schreiner <ks@bambam.ub.uni-mainz.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/10/1998 11:19:58
hi,

just compiled a new kernel for my ss5 from the source suped this
morning. the "make depend && make clean && make" was ok, but the new
kernel failed with a panic: kernel data fault trying to start init:

root file system type: ffs
uvm_swap: allocated 256 swap buffer headers
data fault: pc=0xf00fbec8 addr=0x1f8 sfsr=126<FAV>
panic: kernel fault
Stopped at    _Debugger+0x4: jmpl	[%o7+0x8], %g0
db>
db> trace
_mem_access_fault4m(...)
mem_access_fault4m+0x308
memfault_sun4m(...)
_uvm_fault(...)
_mem_access_fault4m(...)
memfault_sun4m(...)
_copyout(...)
copyout+0x28
_sys_execve(...)
_start_init(...)
_proc_trampoline(...)

maybe that's happening because I commented out all references to
non-sun4m options in the config file? or may it have something to do
with swap? any clues anyone?

i'll now compile a more generic kernel to see if the problem persists.

btw: my (i386-)notebook is running fine with UVM since last night...
(no ps, vmstat, etc but... ;-)

-kurt