Subject: Re: Make Boot Tape
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/03/1998 16:12:10
> If you could make a kernal available on FTP that would be great!  Why is the
> Sparc 330 so different from say a 4/300 which I understand NetBSD Sparc 1.3
> will work with?  I have done several postings to this list since I got this
> machine a couple of weeks ago and there hasn't been much responce.  I am
> very surprised at this because I thought that Sun Sparc was much more popular.
Yeah well, I don't think the 4/[1234]xx are very popular :(  The problem on
the 4/330 (all 4/300's ?) is that it doesn't seem to like the DMA select
which is used in the 1.3 NCR 53c9x code.  Basically, on a stock 1.3 kernel,
you can't talk to any SCSI devices.  The kernel I'm running has patches,
so it does at least talk to all the devices.  It also has a patch to stop
an FPU panic.

> To date I have not tried netbooting any of these, all were installed with a
> tapeboot to get the miniroot running then I would use FTP to the i386
> machine to bring in the Binaries.

If you've got enough disk space, I'd suggest that netbooting the Sparc from
one of them would be the way to go.  Unless someone on the list comes up
with the instructions on how to make a bootable tape.  It's not too
difficult to netboot a machine - see 'man disklesss' (I did this for a Sparc
4 install from my 4/330; mail me if you get stuck).  Once you've netbooted
it, you can then install all the sets from tape/ftp/whatever.

I've put files at :

	ftp://aire.ncl.ac.uk/pub/misc/

	netbsd-4_330			1.3 4/330 kernel
	netbsd-4_330.CONFIG		config used for above kernel
	netbsd-4_330.diffs		diffs for SCSI/FPU 'features'

PS.  I'm trying to get SANE running, which involves using the user level
SCSI routines.  I've just got a number of 'partially allocated inodes'
(again).  Maybe the 4/330 SCSI isn't completely fixed, but maybe this is
something different.

PPS.  I had no problems under 1.2.1.

--
    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.