Subject: Re: X on Sparc
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: What EES eet man? <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/30/1998 06:59:16
I would dare say that PCs aren't even up to the level of boot ROMs that
an 11/750 had [or that what you just said?]

Dave McGuire sez:
/*
 * On January 30, Tim Rightnour wrote:
 * > #   Sounds like a monitor adjustment issue...the cg6 is a
 * > # single-sync-rate card, so inter-mode alignment variations aren't
 * > # really the result of framebuffer-ish things.  I've seen many monitors,
 * > # however, whose images would exhibit shrinkage that seemed to
 * > # correspond with the amount of non-dark areas on the display...a
 * > # current draw thing, I'd guess.
 * >
 * > I assume you mean I would need to adjust all the knobs..  being that there
 * > aren't any.. I assume that means "live with it"
 *
 *   Sure there are...*inside* the monitor. :-)
 *
 * > And *OH* how I've been struggling to get away from the PC world..  Bought an
 * > alpha.. spent a month screaming at it pulling hair, thinking the MB was toast
 * > (multia) only to find out my memory was bad...  God I want to get that alpha
 * > booted..  Number one thing I like about non-pc's is the hardware boot
 * > consoles..  like the DEC SRM, and the OpenBoot.  God they are so much nicer
 * > than "stick a floppy in and pray" or shutdown==reboot==halt it's nice to reboot
 * > a machine without having to hit a button.  ;)
 *
 *   Yeah, I agree...it's very nice to have something USEFUL in the ROM.
 * PCs have come a long way in that regard, but they're still not even
 * close to the utility of, say, the ROM monitor on the KA650 board...a
 * 10-year-old VAX processor. :-/
 *
 *
 *            -Dave